During a ceremony on October 30, 1949, Joseph S. Summer lays down mortar for the cornerstone of the Jewish Center being built on College Avenue just south of Livingston Avenue. Summer was chosen for this honor as a grandson of Joseph Schonthal (known affectionately as “Pops” Schonthal), who in 1918 had purchased a building on East Rich Street in Downtown that was used as a community meeting space and as a center for youth activities. Built for $650,000, the “new” Jewish Center contained an auditorium, bowling alley, basketball courts, a swimming pool, classrooms and a sauna, and its location recognized the movement of the Jewish community into the east side of Columbus and the nearby suburban enclave of Bexley. A more modern facility, built on the same site and named the Leo Yassenoff Jewish Community Center, replaced this building in 1983. The JCC now also operates facilities in Dublin (northwest Franklin County) and New Albany (northeast Franklin County) as the Jewish community has grown and expanded.